NEBBI. Arua High Court had issued an injunction blocking election of the Mayor of Nebbi Municipal Council.
The order follows an application filed by Mr James Chombe Muchek, the interim Mayor against the Independent Electoral Commission (IEC) and the Attorney General of Uganda.
In his application, Chombe argues that since he was the duly elected chairman of the then Nebbi town council before its elevation to Municipality status on July 1, 2017, the law permits him to complete his five-year term in office as an interim Mayor.
He claims that it is illegal for IEC to organize fresh elections yet the same people of Nebbi Municipality gave him the mandate to serve them as the then LC3 chairman until 2021.
It is on this ground that Court decided to issue an injunction restraining the IEC from conducting any Mayoral elections in Nebbi until the matter before Court is settled.
The order was issued on June 13, 2018 by Godfrey Ssalaamu Ngobi, the Assistant Registrar of Arua High Court in the presence of the applicant’s lawyer, Mr James Munguriek.
Court also ordered that the applicant remains the Mayor of Nebbi municipal council until the matter is resolved.
Mr Geoffrey Ngeriker one of the candidates on NRM ticket described Chombe’s move as a sign of cowardice since the term of the interim council expired last year.
“When the notice of this election was published in newspapers by the independent electoral commission, Chombe did not go to court but why now?” Ngeriker asked.
He said Chombe participated in earlier electoral processes and got nominated. Ngeriker went ahead saying that they even sat together as candidates with Chombe and agreed to start campaigns on June 11, 2018 only to be shocked by the Court injunction two days after.
Ngeriker observed that they will continue with their campaigns despite the Court order since they have not yet got an official communication from the electoral commission to that effect.
But when contacted, Mr Raymond Kasarale, the Nebbi district returning officer said they are yet to receive the Court order.
He said the electoral commission will issue an official communication to all the candidates as soon as they are served with the Court injunction.