NEBBI. The Chief magistrate’s court in Nebbi has dismissed an election petition in which the runners of last month’s Nebbi municipality parliamentary race sought for recount of the vote.

Court presided over by Mr Daniel Lubowa dismissed the petition on grounds that it is not mandatory for court to order recount or proof of objection and the doctrine of numeracy doesn’t warrant recount.

He stated that there was no specific scrutiny of votes as was urgued by the petitioner’s lawyer.

“I therefore found it not Necessary to order for recount and dismiss it without cost and the declared results stands although I agree that there was variation in the number of invalid and spoilt votes” Mr Lubowa ruled.

But Mr Robert Onega, the petitioner said it was an unfair judgment and was contemplating on his next move.

Mr Suleiman Hashim, the winner of the race said court had affirmed his win and called upon the residents to unite and work for the development of the municipality.

Security remained tight around the court as proceedings were going on as a group of youths threatened to invade the hall accusing it of collusion.

Mr Savior Oyergiu, a supporter of FDC’s Onega said they will wait for the two year to elupse and elect him as Hashim has been imposed on them.

The July 27 election was marred with violence and irregularities as police arrested 21 youths on allegations of malicious damage to property.

Journalists were not also spared as police commanded by the regional police commander Mr Jonathan Musinguzi chased them out of tally centre as they were being beaten.